Saturday, January 12, 2013

Battery Park City

Here's another photo from nearly twenty years ago taken from the observation deck of the World Trade Center in New York City. I remember being fascinated when Battery Park City was built. They filled in a section of the waterfront, eliminating old and outdated piers, creating new land for the new neighborhood. The core of the development is the World Financial Center (pictured here). Each of the buildings is topped with a different roof: a dome, a pyramid, and a stepped pyramid.

The World Financial Center, designed by César Pelli, seen from the World Trade Center in 1994.

Today the place is a thriving mix of office, residential, and public spaces. I'm sure the people who live there will be happy when the new World Trade Center, just across the street, is completed.

I took the picture through a window on the observation deck.

8 comments:

  1. I wonder how badly damaged these buildings were by the falling towers?

    (off to google)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is another fantastic photo Walt. Never knew about the different roof tops on those buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a clear photo- must have been a clear day;-) and a good camera. I visited the tower only once in the early 80s and it was a cloudy day. I hope to get to the new tower one day. Saw the ruins after 9/11 in December of '01- they were still steamy and smelled. It was just awful down there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos in the last few posts. I visited the towers in the mid 90s and took some shots like these but they were on paper and not digital. Interesting about the roofs. Never noticed that before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been up there too, in 1986! An amazing experience it was. Thanks for posting this. I had no camera then so I don't have any pics. Hope you don't mind if I steal it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. NYC was and remains a fascinating city.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or they may be terrified of a re-run!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!