Saturday, November 09, 2013

Fun with flags

The grape growers around us use "hazard tape" in the spring in an attempt to keep the deer out of their parcels. I'm not sure how well it works, but I know that the red and white bands of tape wrapped around the vineyard parcels detract from the visual charm of the vineyard. But then, the vineyards are not there for my viewing pleasure.

A bunch of flags tied to the support wire at the end of a row of grape vines.

The growers also use shorter bits, or "flags," of tape to mark certain parcels by tying strips to the wire at the end of a row. I don't know the code, but sometimes I think the little flags mark where one varietal ends and another begins to help with the harvest. The flags come and go, depending on the time of year and what's going on out there.

4 comments:

  1. That's interesting about using tape to protect the vineyards from deer. Is that because they eat the grapes or just get tangled up in the vines and such? Anyway, nice shot. Those colors in the grape leaves are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off-side comment: Last night I attended my french teacher's Beaujolais Soirée (also my daughter !). She had two varieties of the wine for our dégustation - one from Georges DeBoeuf, 2010 and one Louis Jadot from 2011. The question came up last night: do the French drink Beaujolais only the first year or is it available for sale in future years as well? My preference was the 2010. I will be going to tasting here when the new Beaujolais est arrivée!

    Seeing those grapevines must be a constant reminder to drink wine! Your photos sometimes do that to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the vineyards are not for your pleasure, what possible reason could there be for their existence?

    ReplyDelete
  4. stuart, in the spring, when the grapes are beginning to flower, the deer will eat young shoots (and maybe even the flowers, I'm not sure), so there's a month or so when the growers try to limit the damage.

    mary, I think beaujolais is good for several years, although it's normally drunk pretty young. 2010 and 2011 sound pretty normal. Some beaujolais are kept for a long time, but in my experience, it's generally not a wine that one ages.

    starman, for drinking the wine, man! I think I said they're not there for my viewing pleasure. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!