Friday, November 01, 2013

When a friend gives you figs

You make a fig tart! Or, at least, I do. We were fortunate to get a bag-full of green figs from a local friend who had a small surplus. The fruit was quite ripe and needed to be used right away. So I threw together a pâte brisée (short crust) and made a tarte aux figues (fig tart).

The finished fig tart, ready to be tasted.

It's a very simple pie. The crust is made with butter, but is not sweet. Under the figs is a layer of ground almonds and some sugar. I sprinkled a little sugar on the quartered fruit, then glazed it when the tarte was nearly done baking using some of Ken's home-made apple jelly. Delicious!

7 comments:

  1. could have made a figgy pudding (sings - now bring us a figgy pudding and bring it right here) or fig newtons.

    looks dee-lish, walt; and home-made apple jelly too! wish you could be my personal chef!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I look at this unbelievably delicious photo of what is obviously an unbelievably delicious fig tart, I can't help but think San Geraldo's diet is no fun for ME. He hasn't baked in two months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so beautiful! Now that evenings and nights are cold, I will be able to turn on the oven pretty soon and bake my heart out.
    (Bonne Toussaint!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah...a personal chef! What a great idea, anne marie! Having both Walt and Ken would make my weekly dinner or lunch regime soooo much more enjoyable!!! AND, with all that home-grown, organiccally-grown staples!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks interesting and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Figs make me think of "I, Claudius" where Livia tells her son Tiberius 'by the way, don't eat the figs".

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!