Wednesday, November 27, 2013

I'm done lumberjacking and I'm ok

Finally, I finished sawing the oak logs that we'll burn over winter. I normally do it in August and September, but we didn't get the wood delivered until the end of September this year. Then it took me two months to cut, mostly because I got sick for a while and then the chainsaw got sick for a while, and we also had some wet weather. But now it's done. Phew!

The log pile. It's three and a half rows deep. And I've been burning for a month now, so it would easily be four rows deep.

You want numbers? I got numbers. We bought 5 stères (5 cubic meters, or 1.4 cords). Each log is one meter long (about 3 feet), which is the standard size for firewood in France. I cut 320 logs. Two cuts per log equals 640 cuts with the chainsaw. That gives us three burnable segments per log, or 960 pieces of wood to burn. Many of those get split by my axe during the burning season. Just call me Gimli.

A view edge-on. You can see the three rows, plus part of the fourth. I'm hopeful that it's enough for the winter.

I didn't cut near this many last year and we ran out of wood toward the end of the season. We should have enough this time, unless it gets very, very cold.

13 comments:

  1. My oh my! That's some 'wood' you got there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an impressive wood pile you have there. I always like to quote my brother-in-law who says firewood always burns twice... the first time when you're splitting it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you glad that task is over?
    What a neat pile of logs you have there Walt...well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY organized, dear! by the sweat of your brow do we know ye...

    now you can "skip and jump and press wildflowers"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! I love your statistics (I'm in awe). But your log "pile" is such a work of art, it would break my heart to remove anything. I would rearrange each time to keep it looking beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one tidy woodpile! The Pythons are reconvening for a show in London - tickets sold out in 43 seconds and are being offered on the web for £1500 so if you have £3000 to spare you can go and hear the Lumberjack Song for real! P.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haaa haaa to Mitchell :)
    Chapeau, Walt. Job (very) well done.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you two tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I hope your winter is not as bad as last year's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the way it all stacks up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very neat! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in awe of that beautifully organised wood pile. Our apple logs are way too irregular to do that (but they smell good!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks lovely. Oh how I miss real fires.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That should keep you comfy for quite a while!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!