Monday, November 04, 2013

The garden in mid-autumn

Here's Callie sniffing around in the vegetable garden just before our morning walk. The sun had just come up and it was a little chilly. You can see that most of the vegetable plants are gone, except for the kale and collard greens. And the nasturtiums. Inside the cold frame are a few jalapeno peppers, but they didn't produce much as a fall crop; it was an experiment. I'll plant some more in the spring.

The hedge in the center is part of our hazelnut row. It was cut down to size last spring. I like it much better this way.

Sunday was a lovely sunny day. There was a bit of wind, but nothing violent. Monday morning is rainy. And I have to go out again with Callie.

7 comments:

  1. Love the colors in this photo. Hope you had no storm damage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never stop surprising me (and leaving me in awe) with your photos. This is another breathtaking image and it's made more interesting with Callie's presence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks autumnal and idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful photograph – the grass is so soft looking. You grow kale? What is it called in French I wonder as I never had any while growing up in France. I started to buy it here and now cook it very often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. evelyn, no damage to report, thankfully!

    mitch, you're just encouraging me...

    starman, yup.

    michael, well, the grass needs to be cut and there are too many apples on the ground...

    vagabonde, I think it's just called "kale" or maybe chou vert frisé. It's a relatively new fad in France, but I used to eat it 30 years ago in Washington, DC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is evocative of the essence of autumn. Such a beautiful photo. And Callie makes it perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!