Friday, November 15, 2013

Seedy

With our nice crop of winter squash this year have come the seeds. I always like the idea of roasted pumpkin/squash seeds, but I"m often disappointed with the result. While I know that the white outer husks of the seeds are edible, they are often too tough and chewy. And if there's a practical way to get the white husks off the green interior seeds, I have not found it.

Dried seeds from three squash varieties. I've put some away for planting next year.

Still, I keep saving the seeds and trying every year. I made a batch last week with spaghetti squash seeds that I had let dry out for a week or so. I coated them with olive oil and a little curry powder and then toasted them in the oven. And guess what? The husks came out crisp, crunchy and tasty good. So I'm wondering: is it the squash variety or the fact that I let them dry instead of roasting them fresh out of the squash?

As you can see, I have a few more batches to test out. If you have any pointers, I'd be interested!

4 comments:

  1. Walt, the variety that is grown for the huskless seeds is...
    "Lady Godiva"...
    can't think why... };-)...
    slightly tricky to grow, apparently, as the seed has no husk to protect it in the soil.
    We haven't tried this variety, so can't speak from experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, leaving them out to dry makes them crispy after baking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can buy seeds of hull-less pumpkin at the deli. Our friend Steve did so at the allotment in the uk and grew them with great success. They are fragile, but there's plenty in one packet. The flexh is nothing special though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tim, sounds like too much trouble to me, lol!

    wendyanne, hi! Thanks for stopping by. I think you are right; I don't know why it's taken me so long to figure this out!

    starman, back atcha!

    pauline, I'd rather have good flesh and seeds with hulls, I think. But, perhaps one day... :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!