Monday, October 21, 2019

A late harvest

With all the rain we've had in the past week (and it seems to be over now), I wondered how long it would be before what's left in the vegetable garden begins to rot. I knew there were a few tomatoes out there as well as some peppers. So I went out on Friday to gather it up.

The peppers may still turn yellow and red as they sit. The red bell and yellow long peppers that you see on the left were mostly green when I picked them a couple of weeks ago.

I was surprised at how many long peppers there were. There are nine plants, so I shouldn't have been all that surprised. Still, I was. Many of the remaining tomatoes had burst, but I got some. I also found a couple of tiny eggplant and one lonely zucchini. Now I have to figure out what to do with these peppers to preserve them. It's also time to start thinking about pulling up plants and preparing the plot for winter.

7 comments:

  1. I have a friend who used to stuff peppers with finely chopped cabbage and pickle them. Delicious, though I don't know how she did it.
    Your late harvest is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you should call yourself Peter Piper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely colourful photo of all your garden goodies! Not bad for mid-October!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, if the bell peppers were all ripe at the same time, I'd roast them.

    judy, :)

    thickethouse, that sounds good. Maybe I'll look around on the internet...

    autolycus, hardly a peck there... ;)

    elgee, not bad at all!

    lori, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!