Friday, October 04, 2019

Mellow yellow

The vineyards' deep green is getting more pale as the days go by. It's not in its yellow phase yet, but there are certain leaves that are ahead of the game.

The bottom grape leaves seem to be changing before the rest.

I harvested four long eggplants on Thursday from our single plant. There are two other eggplant varieties out there, but the few fruits they have are not yet mature. I sliced and grilled the eggplant and Ken used it in moussaka, a Greek dish made with layers of potato, ground lamb, and eggplant, topped with a béchamel sauce, and baked. Ken's version also has cheese on top. It made a tasty lunch. And, yes, there are leftovers!

6 comments:

  1. We have an excellent Greek restaurant b early and I regularly order moussaka. However, I’m just mad about Saffron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped growing eggplants when I realized the homegrown ones weren't too superior than the store-bought ones.
    However I continue to grow the white and speckled types for they were good for supper invite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. evelyn, yum!

    mitch, just stay away from the electrical banana.

    judy, aaaaaah!

    michael, I've grown eggplants that were bitter, so the supermarket ones were better. This is the first year in a while that they've worked for me, probably because it was a very hot summer.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!