Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Soba soup, sorta

After making my poule au pot (chicken in a pot) over the weekend, I was left with a lot of chicken broth, not to mention chicken and vegetables. Most of the broth went into the freezer. I saved out some to make chicken noodle soup for another lunch.

My chicken noodle soup with soba and Japanese flavor ingredients. I ate two bowls full.

I had some Japanese soba (buckwheat) noodles in the pantry and thought they would be good in the soup, and they were. I chopped up some of the leftover chicken and vegetables, added some soy sauce, mirin (a sweet Japanese rice wine), and some soy bean/garlic paste to the broth. It turned out well, but next time I think I'll try to hot it up a bit. There will be a next time because I have some left.

On Monday evening the expected cold front moved through our sultry, muggy weekend air. Thunderstorms formed all along the line, but somehow we were spared. There were storms to the south of us and storms to the north, but all we got was rain and wind. Lots of wind. About fifteen minutes of very strong wind. When it was over, I had to go out and collect the empty flower pots that were blown all over the yard.

5 comments:

  1. That soup looks beautiful... and a perfect photo set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking just what Mitchell said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how delightful!
    I adore Japanese soup with soba/ramen noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, it was tasty, but I wanted more "heat."

    judy, gmta.

    michael, I want to look for some udon noodles the next time I'm in the Asian stores.

    mary, :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!