Monday, October 07, 2019

Millet

There are several fields interspersed among the vineyard parcels out back. Most of the time, they're filled with tall grasses that grow all spring and summer and then are cut down. Some of them are cut for hay, and we see the bales dotting the fields in late summer before they're taken to storage.

India, Nigeria, and Niger are the world's leading producers of millet. The US, India, and Nigeria are the leading producers of sorghum.

One small field, between a small grape parcel and a stand of pines, was plowed up last spring and planted with something. At first it looked like corn (maze), but it did not grow tall. Now that it's gone to seed, it looks like it's a variety of millet. It could also be sorghum; they're related and look similar. I think millet is mostly used for animal feed in France, probably poultry. It's also part of the wild bird seed mixes I see sold in the garden centers. Here and there we find a variety of millet in the markets sold for human consumption. We both enjoy it as an alternative to rice and other grains.

4 comments:

  1. I had a junior high teacher named Millet. He wrote a song that began “What's more American than Corn Flakes, the 4th of July and Uncle Sam? What's more American than baseball? I am. I am. I am." That's my only experience with Millet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me smile, Mitchell!

    Your millet photo is very calming, Walt! I see millet for sale in the garden departments used as a fall grass. I've never tried it in my kitchen. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can vouch for using millet occasionally as a change from other grains. This is a good reminder to do it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, I see he left out apple pie. ;)

    mary, I wouldn't try to eat the grass seed... there are special varieties for eating. :)

    emm, I think it's very tasty.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!