Tuesday, April 04, 2023

Jump ahead

The last time I visited the Château de Chaumont was in the fall of 2012. More friends from California were in town and we visited both Chaumont and Chambord. The next batch of photos are from that visit. Long-time readers might recognize some of these photos that I posted back then (already almost eleven years ago!). I'm taking this opportunity to re-work some of them.

The main entrance to the castle's courtyard. October 2012.

This is a not-very-good shot of the drawbridge at the castle entry. I was still learning how to use the camera that I got earlier in the year, a Canon T3i, my first digital SLR. Most of my shots that day, like this one, were taken in aperture priority mode, but a few might have been attempts with full manual mode. It's apparent that I was still working on getting the lighting right.

There are actually two drawbridges at the entrance; a wider one for horses and carriages (I'm guessing), and another narrower one for pedestrians. The entrance leads to a courtyard surrounded on three sides by the château and open to the north and views of the Loire River in the valley below.

5 comments:

  1. The harvest decorations seem a bit out of place. But what a view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember ever seeing a nice close up of this area of Chaumont... nice to see. A new one for the students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this. Really looking forward to seeing more pictures of it since it was closed when I was there.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. After your description (teaser) of the drawbridge yesterday, I can now clearly see what exactly you were describing. Looks like another much smaller drawbridge on the right for the side door. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, I remember a lot of pumpkins.

    judy, :)

    bettyann, stay tuned!

    mary, I wish I had a better photo of it. Next time!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!