Friday, April 14, 2023

The north side

More rain is expected today, so I'm not expecting the deck guys until after the weekend. I'll take this opportunity to show you a side of the house that's not often seen in my photos: the north side. The deck wraps around and continues along about half the length of the house's north-facing façade. It's not really usable, being about a meter wide. I don't know why it was built this way, but it does make cleaning that living room window a lot easier than it might otherwise be.

The almost useless north section of the deck.

The section of the property along this side of the house is what I call the north forty. Recent rains and mild temperatures helped the grasses and wildflowers to go crazy. The whole property needs to be mowed. As soon as we have a few dry, warm days in a row, I'll get out there. In the photo's background is the newly tilled vegetable garden plot in the middle of what I call the west forty.

Bert update: I found Bert's body this morning. He was curled up in a tuft of tall grass out by the pond, just steps from our back gate. I walked that way just to have a look into the pond from another direction, and there he was. There was no obvious sign of trauma. We buried him in the back yard soon after. Now we have closure.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my, that must 've been a bit of a shock when you found Bert! Relief also, finally knowing what happened, and sadness, because it's final now. I don't know about you, but I was somehow still hoping he'd come back. Years ago, we had 3 cats, and the exact same thing happened. One of them, also black, disappeared one day, just like that. Luckly enough we didn't have to wait very long to find out what had happened to him. That day we'd been looking everywhere around the neighbourhood, asked everybody we saw, but to no avail. Then, the next day, playing children found his body in some shrubs, like Bert: curled up, no sign of injuries, peacefully 'asleep'. He was only 13. Closure, yes, and time to mourn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan from Perth14 April, 2023 10:35

    Rest In Peace, Bert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry and glad you found Bert. My heart is with you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about your dear old cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww so sorry about Bertie. I've always heard that cats know when their time is near and they may wander off into nature. Y'all were very good cat parents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad Bert has been found. It's sad when we don't find them and always wonder what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about Bert but that is how cats like to die.
    So the wrap around will be paved too?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s good to know that he died peacefully.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhh, I'm so glad that you found dear Bertie. What a good, well-loved life he had with you two and Tasha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor old Bert. I'm glad you know what happened though. He was a good cat. -- Chrissoup

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you found Bertie. He had a peaceful end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, Bert has been on my mind since his disappearance. This morning and every morning as I open up your two posts I was thinking, "well, in the detective books I love to read when there is no 'body' there is more to learn." Now, we know. For me, I have had to euthanize two of my beloved pets. This result seems better to me. Now I can remember all of his antics between the three of you and Callie, of course. The beautiful photos you two have shared and now there is a finality of it all. Undoubtedly, in my eyes, he had a good life - full of warmth and love and friendship from you and Ken and lastly his shared roomie, Tasha. RIP Bertie. It was great knowing about you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sad about Bert. He probably just died of old age. Good to get closure, which we never did with our aged cat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess beloved Bertie chose his place, almost wild, in sight of his home and loving family. Bless you all. A peaceful end to happy days. Pats. .

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just stopped by after a long absence and the first thing I did was check on Bertie. I'm so sorry for your loss. He had a great life and it sounds like a peaceful death as well. I hope you can eventually take some comfort in your happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ragazza, thanks for the kind words. :)

      Delete

Tell me what you think!