Monday, April 17, 2023

Tarte aux asperges et au jambon

It's spring, which means that it's asparagus season. And what do I do every year during asparagus season? I make a ham and asparagus tart. Our local specialty is white asparagus. The green stuff is getting more popular, but the white stuff is much more abundant. They're the same plant, it's just that the green stuff is allowed to grow above ground, in the sunlight, and chlorophyll develops. The white stuff stays buried until it's harvested.

The set up: tart pan, ham slices, steamed asparagus.

The first step in making the tart is to peel and steam the spears. White asparagus needs to be peeled because the skins are tough. Be sure to cut the spears to fit your tart pan. That done, the next step is to prepare a pâte brisée (standard pie crust) and blind-bake it. Store bought crusts will work just fine, but I have the time so I make my own.

Blind-baked pie crust, cooled and ready.

While the crust is baking (use pie weights!), roll three or four asparagus spears in a slice of ham. The original recipe calls for jambon cru (cured ham, like Bayonne or prosciutto), but I usually use regular sandwich slices. Make four bundles, or however many will fit in your tart pan. This recipe is a good use for a rectangular tart pan.

Ham and asparagus bundles.

Make a savory custard with two eggs, a mixture of milk and cream equaling 20cl, and about 50g of grated parmesan cheese. Pour that mixture into the crust and arrange the ham/asparagus bundles on top. Bake the tart for 30 minutes or so in a hot (220ºC/400ºF) oven until the custard sets and browns. Let cool a little before serving.

The finished tart, ready to come out of the pan. Cut and serve as desired.

A green salad with a simple vinaigrette dressing goes well with this tart. And a nice wine, red or dry white, completes the meal.

7 comments:

  1. Jan from Perth17 April, 2023 09:05

    Wow, that looks so delicious... ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! The ham and asparagus tart makes an appearance! I've made this, thanks to seeing it on your blog.
    Yumm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made it, too! Very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I see your pictures of this, I make it. It is delicious.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you already fully booked for next spring's asparagus/jambon déjeuner? Otherwise, I would like to sign up - that dish always makes me hungry! Miam, miam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so good! I enjoy reading about your food adventures. -- Chrissoup

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!