Monday, April 24, 2023

Le grand salon

There's a lot going on in this room. The fireplace (not in the photo), and probably a lot of the décor, dates from the mid nineteenth century. Le goûter (afternoon tea?) was often served in this room, according to the castle's web site.

Le grand salon, Château de Chaumont. October 2012.

We're expecting the contractor back again this morning. We need to show him the photos of the water incursions. It's possible that this won't be a surprise to him and that he plans to build up another layer of mortar. It's possible. We'll see how he reacts.

Not long after he gets here, I have to leave for an early morning doctor appointment. It's just a routine visit to refill prescriptions, so it shouldn't take long. Ken and Tasha will supervise while I'm gone.

7 comments:

  1. I think spending more than a moment in that room would give me a panic attack. When I was a kid I had a friend who lived in a piss-elegant apartment. There was a love-seat like that, although in a dusty rose color. I thought at the time it was the height of elegance. My tastes have changed. Hope all goes well with deck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maximalism! 19th century decor is a bit much for modern tastes. That carpet is really splendid though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed for luck with the contractor, and that he'll be right on it, knowing just what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ll have tea with lemon, thank you. Beautiful room.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too fussy for me to enjoy on a daily basis but I would love to join you, BettyAnn for tea with lemon, no sugar! Fancy places are fun to visit for tea! What kind of dessert will be served? Tarte aux fraises?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’d throw every piece of furniture away, except the piano, the carpet and the loveseat! If the owners could afford the chateau, they probably could afford a grand piano. They were cheap, unless the furniture wasn’t the original.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mitch, it's too busy for me, too.

    kiwi, I like the carpet as well.

    judy, I hope so...

    bettyann, and cucumber sandwiches?

    mary, tarte aux fraises is one of my favorites!

    chm, I don't know how much of that is "original." Original to somewhere, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!