Thursday, April 27, 2023

Roast chicken in a pot

Ken made this the other day. I took the picture. It's a chicken roasted in an earthenware terrine with aromatic vegetables, smokey lardons (bacon), and white wine. In this case, Ken substituted hard cider from Normandy for the wine since we had some that needed to get used. He sauteed cubed potatoes to serve along side. Needless to say, it was delicious.

A variation on "chicken in the pot."

On the deck front, work continued through the day on Wednesday. The tiles are almost all down now. Just a few remain to be laid at the end of the deck's north side. Then, I assume, the grouting will begin. I don't know how long the mortar has to set before the grouting can happen. I'll find that out today. So far, it's looking good; we're both pretty happy with the new tile color (it's not that different from the old color). I'll take pictures once the protective tarps are removed and I get the green light to walk around out there.

6 comments:

  1. Great news about the deck. Chicken in a pot sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please explain something Walt... what is hard cider, and also often seen "apple cider".
    [Cider = a drink made from apples, I can't understand the need to put "apple" in front?]

    To me, Cider is cider, fruit cider is a cider that has been ruined by the Swedes and perry is an alcoholic drink made from pears.
    And "White Diamond Cider" is a chemical concoction sold at a very cheeeeeep price for alcoholics

    But that chicken looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering.

    Hope the deckwork finishes up quickly and satisfies you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, it was tasty!

    tim, in North America, "hard cider" is alcoholic, while "apple cider" is the fresh-pressed juice of the apple. It differs from apple juice in that it's fresh and not filtered (I believe), so it doesn't have much shelf life. It used to be that apple cider was only available at harvest time, but that may have changed over the years. I don't know why we say "apple" cider, but we do. I'm not an expert. ;)

    sean, thanks. Now we wait until it rains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... it's that two nations divided by a common language thing again!

      Delete

Tell me what you think!