Friday, September 22, 2023

A capital idea

This ornately carved capital is part of the Château de Troussay. In architectural speak, a capital is the uppermost part of a column. Although, in this case, this may not even be a column. It could be what's called an "engaged" column. That is, a structural column embedded in the wall behind it. But most likely it's what's called a pilaster, a decorative element in a wall that's meant to resemble an engaged column.

One of two carved capitals flanking the château's main entrance. Troussay, July 2006.

Enough pedantry for one day! Today is a transition day. The cool, wet weather system is moving off and temperatures are expected to rise through the weekend. I've got some more grass cutting in my future, if it stays dry.

5 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this château until you mentioned it. It's beautiful and I would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, heyyyyy, I did not know that term, engaged column (nor could I have told you what a pilaster is, though I was familiar with the word). Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  3. jean, it's very close to Cheverny.

    mitch, haha!

    judy, :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoying your sharing some of your architectural knowledge with us, Walt!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!