Monday, September 04, 2023

Back to skool

Today is la rentrée scolaire, the day kids in primary and secondary schools head back to class. I've never really figured out the French school system. I know there is l'école (roughly equivalent to American elementary school) and collège (roughly equivalent to American junior high or middle school), then lycée (roughly equivalent to American high school). But the details of how many years a student spends in each of the levels, and what each year within those levels is specifically called, escape me. Probably because I don't have children in school (or anywhere else).

Columns and light in the church at Cunault, July 2006.

I got the birch branch logs that I cut up moved off the lawn and to the general log pile. It took about four wheelbarrow trips, maybe five. Now I have two piles of kindling to move. Maybe this morning before it gets too hot.

6 comments:

  1. Many kids here returned to school Sept 1. I thought the city would empty out, but it hasn't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the old limestone of these places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh to have a birch fire! I remember these in my youth; they seemed somehow better in brightness and aroma than other woods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After 18 years with her own french school my daughter has accepted a position teaching kindergarten (la maternelle) in the city's french immersion school. She will greet 25 kids on Wednesday when her class will start. Now, Walt,you know the names and divisions of all the french schools! I cannot tell you how many years in each except only 1 year for kindergarten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Birch burns so beautifully. Enjoy lovely warmth from the fire with those crackling away. I'm a bit envious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, off season can be so nice!

    judy, there's plenty of it around here, for sure!

    michael, I find that they burn hot and rather quickly, good for putting some life in a dwindling fire.

    mary, interesting!

    myk, I burned a lot of birch last year, but I think this will be the last year. It all came from a few fallen trees on our property.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!