Friday, September 08, 2023

Waiting for harvest

The grapes get riper every day. Those that were harvested close to our house a few days ago are white chardonnay grapes. They get used in blends and sparkling wines and are normally the first grapes around us to get picked. I've been hearing the mechanical harvesters all around since then and yesterday I noticed some hand-harvesting going on in one of the parcels to our west.

Red wine grapes, either côt (malbec), cabernet franc, or gamay. I'm not good at telling the difference.

The heat is still hot, yada yada yada. Thank goodness for relatively cool mornings so we can throw open all the shutters and doors to help cool the house down. It's nature's air conditioning, except that it doesn't work during the hottest hours. Darn.

3 comments:

  1. Grape clusters are works of art (and so are your photos). Not as hot as it's been here, but still warm and very muggy. Even the cats are staying inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those grapes are beautiful. I always thought that grapes were harvested by hand. I learned something today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy your winery photos. It serves as a sort of calendar for me to see the seasons come and go. Thank you for continuing to post them.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!