Monday, September 18, 2023

Château du Rivau

This is one of those places that I've seen from the outside many times, but have never visited. It's a "one of these days" things. Rivau's construction began in the thirteenth century with major elements in both the medieval and renaissance styles. It sits amid fields of grain not far from the city of Chinon.

Le château du Rivau, July 2006.

One of the reasons we haven't yet visited the castle is that it suffered a fire in 2010. It has since been restored. From the photos I've seen, the interiors are beautiful as are the gardens. Rivau is about an hour and a half drive away from Saint-Aignan, another reason we haven't been inside..

3 comments:

  1. Is this also a hotel? I think I remember the name from acquaintances who stayed there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I think it is, judging by this ... it's in the VRBO listings (and, thanks for mentioning it, because now I'll add it to my Loire Valley lodging project in French 4!): Château du Riveau: Sleep in the Castle

      Delete
  2. Very nice looking chateau. Please put it on your to do list, we want to see more pictures of it.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!