Saturday, September 02, 2023

Le pont Cessart

The central bridge in Saumur is this arched masonry bridge called Cessart. It connects the city center on the left bank with an island in the Loire River, l'île d'Offard. I identified that island as Millocheau yesterday, but Wikipedia tells me that Millocheau, formerly an island off the western point of Offard, is now connected to the larger island and is therefore no longer an island in its own right. There's another bridge between the island and the river's right bank called the Pont des Cadets de Saumur. I can't find anything about the name of the bridge in the photo's background except that it carries route D347 across the river. And that's more than you wanted to know about Saumur's bridges.

Le pont Cessart, Saumur, July 2006.

If my favorite (although not always accurate) weather site is correct, the next few days are going to be hot. As high as 36ºC (close to 97ºF) on Monday. Yikes! We shall see.

6 comments:

  1. Such charming views from your vantage point.
    Cooling here with heavy rain predicted. Hallelujah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomatoes are rejoicing about the predicted heat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really enjoying these bridge photos. I hope you won't be stacking wood in the heat!
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, maybe the rain will chase some of the tourists away... Ha!

    chm, I think so. We made about 3 quarts of tomato paste over the past week.

    evelyn, we'll see. It comes a week from Monday!

    judy, I don't think it'll get that hot, but you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this sort of information; you make a good tour guide as well as a photographer.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!