Friday, January 17, 2020

A familiar sight

This church will be familiar to regular readers of this blog. It's the Eglise Collégiale de Saint-Aignan-sur-Cher, built between the eleventh and twelfth centuries. The oldest surviving part of the church is its crypt, known for its eleventh century frescoes.

The collégiale seen from the island in the Cher at Saint-Aignan. It's even got flying butresses!

As far as I know, the church is mostly used on high Catholic holidays and for weddings and funerals. Otherwise, it stands open to the public. The church and the adjacent château are the dominant landmarks in Saint-Aignan, towering above the old town that hugs their northern and eastern flanks.

5 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful sight under spectacular skies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked the way all the buildings, large and small, are so compressed. Too bad La Fumerie (I think that's what it says) chose such a garish lime green for it's signage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good photo- winter skies are good for photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you pinch yourself regularly to remind yourself and Ken that you are living and enjoying the french life with all of it's history? When I spent 4 years in Germany - that's what I did. I miss living in Europe. Thanks to your and Ken's blogs and a few others, I still get to enjoy it sitting at my computer!!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, sunrise, as you know, is a good time for photos!

    sheila, it used to be a wine shop, but that moved. The new place used the same sign style.

    evelyn, the sun is so low in the sky these days!

    mary, we've been here nearly 17 years now. The longest I've spent in the same house for all my life, so it must be good. Or I'm just too old and lazy to move again...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!