Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Just ducky

In North America, these are called mallards. Here in France, they're colverts (green collars). I saw this small group hanging out on a sandbar in the river during my Sunday morning walk with Tasha. I used my telephoto lens to get the shot; had I moved in closer, they probably would have flown off in a huff.

Two females and three males.

We often see a mating pair in the little pond behind our house. They always see us first, and take off in a startling cacophony of wing flappery. They fly a wide circle over the grape vines hoping we will pass so they can set back down on the pond. But Tasha, thinking she can catch up, chases them through the vineyard, barking wildly. Once they turn and fly out of sight, she gives up and we walk on.

4 comments:

  1. I’ve heard these called patos silvestres here, which translates simply to wild ducks. We’ve got a lot of words that don’t seem to consider subtle differences. Tasha must have strutted away proudly after she chased away those intruders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that Tasha has ducks in her life ;')

    ReplyDelete
  3. chm, lol!

    mitch, Callie used to chase hot-air balloons. Tasha goes for the birds.

    evelyn, she's fascinated by the birds that visit our feeders.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!