Saturday, January 18, 2020

Remnants

Here's most of what's left of the medieval castle in Saint-Aignan. Essentially, there's a tower and parts of the old ramparts just west of the current renaissance château. I don't know much about the history of the castle and I've not found much written about it on line.

Looking up toward part of the Château de Saint-Aignan from the island in the Cher River.

While visitors are allowed on the grounds, they're restricted to the château's courtyard and terrace (with great views north over the river valley). There's a very large park (to the right of the round tower in the photo) that's closed to visitors. It's mostly woods; there are no fancy gardens, parterres, or fountains.

4 comments:

  1. I like seeing this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That certainly is a beautiful photo. When I think of rural France, it is a lot like the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. evelyn, :)

    michael, thanks. It's certainly what it looks like around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I would love to live in that [renovated] tower.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!