Tuesday, January 07, 2020

Galette des rois

France's traditional dessert for this time of year (the Epiphany on the Christian calendar) is the galette des rois, or kings' cake. The kings are the three kings of Orient, the wise men, of biblical fame. The most widespread recipe is a cake made from flaky pastry filled with an almond butter cream called frangipane and glazed with an egg wash before baking. Other versions made more like cake or brioche are popular in the south of France.

This year's galette rose a little higher on one side than the other. Still tastes good, though.

A little token called une fève (because the token was originally a fava bean) is baked inside the cake. The person who gets the fève in his piece is crowned king for the day. Commercially made galettes are sold with a paper crown for the king.

My collection of fèves from commercial galettes. This year I used the perch.

I've collected a small number of fèves over the years back before I started making my own galettes. Good galettes are expensive in the bakeries and inexpensive ones are not particularly good. Home made is more economical, even if you buy the flaky pastry ready-made from the supermarket. I learned to make my own pastry from a French television chef and have been using his recipe for years now.

The assembled galette, glazed with egg wash, before it goes into a hot oven to bake.

Ken cut into the cake on Monday to serve us. Neither one of us got the fève, so it's still inside the cake. Ken said he saw it when he sliced the cake, but pushed it back inside the unserved portion. Maybe we'll find it again today.

13 comments:

  1. Never heard of feves. One always learns new things from blogs. I hope you don't cut the feve in half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very like the traditional English Bakewell tart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beauty, Walt! You'll be on display in my French classes today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a work of art! I would love a piece of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressive! Looks delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! All the more so for being home made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your galette could be in a shop window in Paris, Walt! I will be buying the frozen dough for my attempt later today. I will make the filling as you suggested last year and then bake the galette early Friday morning to take to my 10 am french class. There have been many interesting crowns that I found on Pinterest that have inspired me. The theme this year might be music and stars, but who knows?

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your galette looks so delicious. It makes my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again your cooking looks splendid .

    ReplyDelete
  10. andrew, no worries.

    pats, I've made a Bakewell tart. Very tasty!

    judy, I'm honored!

    evelyn, wouldn't it be great if we could download a taste?

    bettyann, it was pretty good, if I do say so myself.

    jean, a little lopsided, but good. :)

    lori, thanks!

    mary, let me know how it comes out!

    michael & michael, thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the tradition and your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you two are always making yummy food!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!