Friday, January 10, 2020

Pizza day

We decided to have pizza for lunch on Thursday. I don't think I've made pizza since before the holidays, so it sounded appetizing. As I normally do, I made the dough on Wednesday evening and left it for a long, slow rise over night. I've started using fresh yeast instead of dry yeast since it's readily available at the supermarket (and freezes well) and it really makes a difference.

The first pizza out of the oven and ready to eat.

We had some left over Bolognese sauce in the fridge, a couple slices of ham, and some frozen peppers from last year's garden. That, cheese, and some black olives made the toppings for two single-size pizzas. A good lunch!

8 comments:

  1. Your pizzas always look sooooo good. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum-yum!

    I think the problem with galette des roi is there are not enough times to practice making it. I did not buy phyllo dough (2 layers in 1 package - worked great other years!). The store had phyllo sheets. When I read the box I realized there were 20 sheets in a package and the box contained 2 pkgs. Disasterous! My decorative cuts didn't stay, they sealed up in baking. It was like eating spanokopita with frangipane filling! Nobody complained, but I will know better and buy only phyllo dough when I want a galette.
    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary's galette may not have been perfect, but my hat is doffed to her for trying! Wow.
    Also those pizzas look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. judy, I've been wrestling with pizza dough for a long time, but this version works pretty well for a bready crust, but not as thick and bready as a Chicago-style pizza.

    lori, thanks!

    mitch, and tasty!

    mary, I've not seen a galette in France made with phyllo, but I'll bet it tasted good! Did you butter in between each layer?

    emm, I'm sure her result tasted good, although it may not look like she intended. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Walt, it was tasty - but I prefer the thicker version of phyllo. 8 layers on the bottom and 6 on top. And, I was mistaken, even this box states, PHYLLO DOUGH. I will need to make spanokopita with the leftover 26 sheets!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'mma come to your house and eat all your yummy food!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!