Thursday, January 16, 2020

Castle in the air

Like many châteaux (castles) that have their origins in medieval times, the château at Saint-Aignan is built on a bluff above the river. There's not much remaining of the original medieval fortifications. The current building was constructed and expanded during the Renaissance.

Our local neighborhood castle rises above Saint-Aignan on the Cher River.

Although visitors can walk through the château's courtyard and can admire the views from the terrace, the building is private and lived-in by the family that owns it and closed to the public. I always wonder if one day it will be opened up to tours, or converted to a hotel with a fancy restaurant.

9 comments:

  1. I''m surprised some of it is not open to the public for Les journées européennes du patrimoine to make people aware of some of France architectural treasures and heritage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so big, that I bet they could use a good part of it for a hotel and restaurant, and still have the remaining family member living in a large enough area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They must be well-off to be able to maintain such a huge place. So many families have tours to help with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what it's like on the inside, how you get from room to room. Are there corridors, or does one room lead off to the next, and what happens when you get lost -- do they find your mummified remains centuries later?

    ReplyDelete
  5. chm, I'm not sure it's open for that. I've not heard that it is.

    judy, I wonder if anybody has the interest (i.e. the money) to do a restoration and upgrade. It might not be worth it in this market. Yet.

    mitch, shabby chic.

    sillygirl, I've heard that the family is big in lumber. Apparently they own a lot of forested land.

    emm, you're not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Walt, it looks like they rent out accommodation in their two gatehouses on the estate: I imagine though that access to the interior of the chateau wouldn't be possible
    http://www.auxgrillesduchateau.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=236&lang=en

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous! When my sister, brother-in-law, and I came to town, and visited a bit with Walt and Ken, we stayed at the gatehouse gîte. Very cool location, and you could walk around the grounds of the château, but, no access to inside.
      The gîte was a very interesting looking place. My one wish would have been that they had it opened up more often to air out... it was rather damp and musty.

      Delete
  7. anon, friends of ours have rented and stayed in the gatehouse, so I've seen inside, and you're right, that doesn't give one access to the château.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!