Sunday, January 12, 2020

With six you get eggroll

Ken made a shrimp curry on Saturday and we had eggrolls along side. I made a batch of eggrolls a couple of weeks ago when we discovered we had some left over eggroll stuffing in the freezer from a batch I made last year. Since there were still some rice paper wrappers in the pantry, it was short work to thaw the stuffing and roll them up.

This kind of eggroll, using a rice paper wrapper and being fried (or baked in my case), is a popular Vietnamese dish in France called "nems."

There was enough stuffing for fourteen rolls. We ate four the day I made them and ten went into the freezer. To cook them, I thaw them first, then brush them very lightly with oil and bake them in a hot oven (or toaster oven) for about twenty minutes, turning them from time to time. I used to try to deep fry my eggrolls, but I found that they got too hot and burst in the oil, making a huge mess. Baking them works great. They're served with a spicy dipping sauce (sauce pour nems) made with rice wine vinegar, nuoc mam (Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce), sugar, water, pepper flakes, and grated carrot.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds and looks so good! Have I ever told you I used to make egg rolls? I really did. I cut up everything myself. Cooked in a wok and even cut the wrappers to make bite size ones for partís we hosted. Hard to believe. (Oh, and they were delicious!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very impressive, Mitchell! Mary in Oregon

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I love that Thai fish sauce, and rice paper springrolls, so I'd love these. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walt - your eggrolls look heavenly!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eggrolls, double yum.
    I like that pink bench in your photo of the week. You'd have to feel cheerful, sitting there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, impressive! Why'd you stop?

    judy, did you ever have nems when you were in Paris?

    mary, thank you!

    emm, cheerful, if not a bit conspicuous. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!