Wednesday, January 08, 2020

The new dresser

I finished assembling the new chest of drawers on Monday morning. Once we got the new screws it went more or less smoothly. The screws, actually bolts, are used to hold the sliding drawer rails in place. Three bolts per rail, two rails per drawer, and nine drawers. That's 54 tiny bolts (the originals were 6mm long, the replacements 8mm long). Only 24 of them were too short, the rest worked like they were supposed to. Don't ask.

A rather standard-looking chest of drawers for the loft. That makes four up there.

Another set of screws (real wood screws) came up one short. There were supposed to be 48 of those, but there were only 47. Luckily I had a similar screw in my toolbox to make up for it. Then there were the four very long screws that didn't even get called for in the instructions. What were they for? And there were some leftovers of other parts. I felt like they guy that takes his car engine apart and puts it back together with a pile of left-over parts afterward.

At any rate, the dresser is done and Ken is filling it up.

9 comments:

  1. Nice looking piece of furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, but what a job. That would be so frustrating. I guess they need to work on their quality control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The customer does their own quality control these days I think. It saves the manufacturer the cost of employing someone to do it but costs the customer in sorting the problem out. The way of the retail world.

      Delete
  3. I like the feet. Very nice. Very crazy how they sent you, clearly, the wrong package of screws and bolts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job! Now you need to send them your "report card" on THEIR job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! Are there rocks in that jar?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good. You have a lot of patience, Walt! More than me, I'm afraid!!!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  7. chm, yes, it looks good!

    mitch, true.

    jean, they cut costs where they can because people demand inexpensive products, I guess.

    judy, it was mostly right, but there needed to be one additional size!

    sillygirl, too much work. lol

    evelyn, yes. Ken collects rocks.

    mary, I've put a few IKEA products together (this one isn't IKEA), so I'm kind of used to how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. loverly, but what a PITA to get it to functionality!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!