Friday, January 03, 2020

Brouillard

Fog. It's been thick the past few mornings. Pea soup, as the saying goes. The layer lightened up a little on Thursday, but the sun never quite broke through. Sound is muffled under the fog, as if a thick wool blanket has been pulled over our heads. The trees drip condensed fog to the ground, making a soft sound not unlike a light rain.

The view from our front deck on a foggy day.

I suppose that fog is better than ice and snow, but I find myself hoping for a little wintry weather. January and February are the coldest months around here, so I may get my wish. When it does snow, it doesn't snow much and it doesn't last very long. More important are the freezes. For years the people who work in the vines have complained about mild winters, saying that we need freezing weather to kill off bad things, be they weeds or insects. We'll see what the next couple of months bring us.

5 comments:

  1. I love fog and how it affects sound. For a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that really is a proper pea souper!
    We've had a few bright and sunny days here, enormously welcome after weeks of rain and grey skies. But for me, ANYTHING is better than snow.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess your galette will be waiting a few days this year -- hoping for health and comfort back in the house, asap :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. With school starting back up next week, I am finding that I am looking at the forecast in the hopes for snow. We don't get much here in central Virginia, but when it happens we are out of school for days! Hopefully you will see the sun soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, I know, after a few days I get antsy for some natural light.

    jean, thanks! I wouldn't mind some snow if it were cold and clear at the same time.

    judy, we'll see...

    michael, who wishes for snow days more? The kids or the teachers? lol!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!