Saturday, June 03, 2023

A rose is a rose

Pretty much the only thing we've been able to grow in this "wild" corner of our yard, besides springtime muscari (grape hyacinth), thick grasses, and the invasive millepertuis (St. John's wort), is this rose. We moved it from another part of the yard a long time ago, and it thrived here. The spot is under the two very tall red maples next to the driveway. The maples have big, shallow roots that crowd out all but the most aggressive plants and the thick leaf canopy blocks a lot of light. I gave up mowing this patch years ago and just let it go wild -- there's no real connection to the rest of the yard that the mower can easily navigate. Low stone walls and rock borders block the way.

A splash of color in a dark corner of the yard.

Today is market day in Saint-Aignan. I'm going to get some strawberries and maybe some asparagus, if the season isn't done yet. The weather's nice, and it's Saturday. I wonder how crowded it will be.

7 comments:

  1. Market day here, too. I'l leave it to SG. I love that splash of color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very yard needs a bit of wilderness. Yours is lovely.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking that is a Rosa rugosa?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It obviously is in heaven in that location! Beautiful and perfect to let it have it's way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate color now matter where and what.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leaving some wild space for the wildlife is all the go in the TV gardening programmes over here, so you're well on trend!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!