Friday, June 09, 2023

That's Italian!

No, wait, it's French! Interesting, but not surprising, that Americans adopted the Italian word, zucchini, for this summer squash, while the British use the French word, courgette. Whatever you call it, it's a delicious and versatile staple in any summer vegetable garden. And surplus zukes freeze well.

We've always had good luck with summer squash, last year's paltry crop being the exception.

We have three plants in this year's garden. If they all produce well, we'll be swimming in the stuff. But maybe that won't be so bad since Tasha now eats zucchini daily, grated and mixed into her wet food as a low-cal but filling part of her morning meal.

11 comments:

  1. I love courgecchini (zuchette?) flowers. Nice that Tasha can enjoy the veg. (Here they're called calabacín.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is strange that Australia picked up the name zucchini rather than courgette. Regardless, I was probably in my mid twenties before I have tasted the vegetable and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zucchini means small squash and so does courgette. Languages are wonderful, innit?

      Delete
  3. It has always interested me how zucchini has such different names in the English speaking world! Thanks for the explanation. The photo is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that Tasha will share your zucchini crop. Thanks for the idea. I will add it to the fruit and dry food that my pup eats for breakfast.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting about Tasha eating zukes everyday. You are due a good garden this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that Tasha gets to enjoy your courgette bounty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grated with scallions and green onion sautéd with olive oil, or grilled slices, and I even made lasagna with either you or Ken's recipe. Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mitch, I've eaten the flowers once, prepared by someone else. They were pretty good!

    andrew, it's a vegetable that my parents always had in their vegetable garden. They're good sliced and grilled.

    michael, I wonder if there is actually an "English" word for them other than summer squash?

    bettyann, I'm convinced it's the juice from the wet food (meat) that covers the squash and makes it tasty?

    evelyn, let's hope so!

    judy, right now, they're coming from the supermarket. But I hope to have a good supply of our own this year.

    anon, that is a good recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zukes were almost idiot proof back in Michigan. Only downside was keeping an eye on them as a day's delay they grow several feet long.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!