Friday, June 23, 2023

The oregano patch

Right next to the vegetable garden plot, between it and the remaining apple trees, are several patches of oregano that escaped the garden several years ago. It comes up on its own every year and I've been careful not to mow it down. In spring, I harvest the herbs and dry them in a dehydrator, then separate the leaves from the stems and put them in jars for use through the rest of the year. Our oregano is more flavorful than what we get from the supermarket and we use it all the time (thyme? lol). But it has to be dried. The fresh leaves don't have much flavor.

Part of the oregano patch and the apple trees. Harvest is done for the year and now the plants are flowering.

Speaking of the apple trees, there are no apples this year. Both our trees are bare, as are the other trees in the neighborhood. I have no idea why. I don't remember seeing a lot of blossoms in the spring, but there were some. I wonder what makes the trees so productive in one year, but almost completely un-productive in others. On the bright side, this year I won't have to pick up apples before mowing the lawn.

10 comments:

  1. Probably a lack of pollinators like bees and other insects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How strange about the apple trees. I'm sure someone will know what causes that. I read the phrase: “... and dry them in a dehydrator” as “... and dry them in a defibrillator.” I had no idea that could be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CHM, yes when cold [and it was too cold for insects] and frost at the wrong time are both causes of this.... also fruit trees can suddenly, and for no reason, turn biennial and only bear a real crop of fruit in alternate years.
    Walt, interesting that you harvest your oregano/marjoram before it flowers.... I pick the young, flowering shoots and dry those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annonn...eee... mouse was me... Tim!

      Delete
  4. I agree with Tim. We had an "untimely" frost or light freeze in late February that has resulted in no peaches this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great that you won't have to pick them up off the ground before mowing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've noticed recipes call for twice the amount of fresh herbs compared to the dried variety. When I had a garden I never used my hydrator for my herbs ...I should have. Thanks for reminding me! Your oregano really LOVES that space! I've never seen it like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our apricot and plum trees have always alternated productive years with less productive years. And this year, it was below freezing when our tree bloomed and there were no bees to be seen. We didn't see any bees at all until early in May; I was getting a little worried. We still have fewer bees than normal now. -- Chrissoup

    ReplyDelete
  8. chm, could be (bee? lol).

    mitch, heart attacks in herbs are very rare...

    tim, I should try that.

    bob, I don't recall a late freeze this year. Our semi-regular April frost didn't happen, either.

    judy, there's always a bright side!

    mary, if it likes where it grows, don't fight it!

    chris, I'm not sure what constitutes a normal amount of bees around here. We have lots of wasps and hornets and bumble bees. Not sure about the honey bees.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my oregano grows worse than the weeds

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!