Sunday, June 04, 2023

A vineyard is born

I took the macro lens out on Saturday morning to see if I could get a good shot of the newly planted grape vines in the vineyard parcel behind our house. And look what I found! Already the tiny vine plants are losing their protective covering and sprouting leaves. According to the label on this vine, the variety of grape they planted is sauvignon, the major white grape that's grown in our region. Undoubtedly, the grapes from these vines will one day become AOP Touraine Chenonceau wine.

There's not a label on every vine, just one per lot. I think those rods on either side are part of a support stake, but I'm not sure. The red stuff is what's left of the waxy protective cover.

My trip to the market was a success. I came home with local strawberries, some green asparagus, and two beautiful globe artichokes. Today we'll grill the asparagus along with some ham and serve it with a cheese sauce. And the weather is more of the same: sunny and warm.

6 comments:

  1. Now, that sounds like a delightful summer day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The birth of a grape vine! I know you’re enjoying these warm summer days. We had two inches of rain in two hours yesterday.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 étoiles for your work on keeping us updated on 'our' vineyard! It is exciting to see the growth of the new vines already. Do you have a basket you place the asparagus in to grill it? I've never tried it, but I guess I'll need to get one - grilled asparagus - yum-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a joy to see something sprout; it never fails to make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, :)

    judy, it has been really nice, but there's always that thing in the back of my mind: we need more rain.

    bettyann, that's a lot!

    mary, no basket, I just put the spears on the grill, perpendicular so they won't fall through. Still, I lost one yesterday!

    michael, I agree. Especially the things I plant in my vegetable garden. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!