Thursday, June 15, 2023

Friggin' fig

Here's a shot of our infamous fig tree bush. I haven't looked it up, but it's got to be at least fifteen years old. One winter, early on, it froze to the ground. I thought it was dead, but no. It came back like an orange-faced former president. When there was fruit, it was quickly consumed by insects and birds. Or it remained hard as rocks until it rotted. I think there was one year when we actually got to eat a few figs.

And it's a bitch to mow around.

This year, the fig is bigger than it's ever been. And it's covered in figs; more than it's ever had. and, yes, they're hard as rocks. Oh well, at least it's a nice looking tree shrub.

8 comments:

  1. Keep the faith! Mine are the same but my experience, from last year, is that they will ripen. But I could be wrong. ;-) I’ll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a beautiful tree. The fig orchards around here have trees with strong trunks. Much easier to mow around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don’t insult your fig tree/bush by comparing it to you know who! ;)
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe this will be the year of a good harvest.
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great analogy comparing the tree to "he who shall not be named."

    ReplyDelete
  6. jane, I hope you're right!

    mitch, there are that kind around here, too. I didn't get one.

    bettyann, as long as it doesn't read my blog, I think I'm ok...

    evelyn, we shall see...

    michael, :)

    judy, :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!