Thursday, June 29, 2023

Serendipity

I took my disabled lawnmower over to the garden center yesterday morning. The repair guy said that he wasn't taking any new motor repairs until after his July vacation. He was trying to get the backlog cleared before vacation starts next week. He gave me the name of someone who might be able to take it before he gets back. I went home, dispirited.

Nothing to do with today's post, just a pretty picture of the vineyard at sunrise.

Then I got to thinking (always dangerous). I had put that carburetor cleaner in the gas tank a couple of days ago. I ran the mower as much as it would run so it would take in the treated gas. By yesterday, the treatment had some time to work. I should start the mower up again and see.

Ken and I lifted the beast out of the back of the car. It's heavy. I reassembled the handle and pushed the mower out into the grass. First pull of the starter cord: nothing. Second pull: the motor sputtered to life, but it was still surging. Then I heard a pop! and saw a little cloud of gray smoke puff out of the exhaust pipe. The mower started running normally. Whatever had gunked up the carburetor (or fuel line) had dissolved enough to be forced out. I was able to finish cutting down the "wild" meadow within a half-hour or so.

So, if the mower keeps running normally, I will have no need to take it in. If I had been able to leave it at the garden center, who knows how long I'd be without it? And the repair guy probably would have done what I did before disassembling the carburetor, and charge me for it. Instead, I'll go get another bottle of carburetor cleaner and use some as a preventative the next time I fill the tank.


9 comments:

  1. Walt, do you empty all the fuel out of the mower before it stands overwinter? This is often a problem because the fuels "split"... both 4-stroke and especially, 2-stroke.... nb: Diesel doesn't.... and gunk builds up in pipes, filters and carbs.
    I now use Aspen artificial fuel [available as either] for the last fill of the season. I use normal petrol/2stroke mix the rest of the time because Aspen isn't cheap at 21€ for 5-litres... but the machines all start first whammy and run smoothly. And it saves the hassle of emptying machines, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another annoying-mouse post... sorry, but your blog isn't allowing me to use my Giggle account.... Tim

      Delete
  2. You were rewarded for putting your thinking cap on!
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. A votre santé! Time to celebrate! Wonderful outcome and now you get to mow again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Walt!
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning, what is the name of the carbureter cleaner that you use and did you buy it at Brico marche? thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  6. tim, no I don't and I know I should. What's artificial fuel? The mower is a 4-stroke, so there's no mixing necessary, unlike the chainsaw...

    mitch, :)

    evelyn, I had to dust it off first... lol

    mary, whee !

    judy, sometimes I get lucky.

    bettyann, :)

    ali R, it's called Restore Nettoyant. It might have come from Brico, or Super U, I don't remember.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!