Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Pumpkin patch

There are only two plants, but if we're lucky, we'll get a few good pumpkins this fall. I've had plants in the past that produced three or four pumpkins each. That's a lot. I like to roast and freeze the flesh to use in cooking, both savory and sweet recipes, during the fall and winter seasons and beyond. These two plants are starting to send out vine branches in every direction. They should cover up most of the ground around them. I can see flower buds on both of the plants, but they haven't opened yet. Patience.

Will the Great Pumpkin visit my pumpkin patch this year? Time will tell.

That pointy plant on the left is a volunteer artichoke. In the fall, when I cut down the artichoke stalks and their flowers, I pile them up in the garden plot until I can dispose of them. It's not surprising that a seed would sprout. It is surprising that there aren't more.

Some of the weather people are predicting a lot of rain over night tonight and into Thursday. Much more than we normally get from a single weather system. Here's hoping the heavy rain, if it materializes, doesn't damage the fragile plants.

5 comments:

  1. I hope there's good rain and no damage. The pumpkin vine is already too beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get the amount of rain you need. The pumpkin plants are very pretty.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkins! Yummmm. I hope you get some good rain, not some bad rain.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, so far, so good!

    bettyann, I"m hoping they'll get even prettier. Stay tuned!

    evelyn, :)

    judy, no bad rain! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!