Monday, June 05, 2023

Meanwhile, back in the established vineyard...

The grape vines are starting to flower. These buds, which look like little grapes, will very shortly open into tiny flowers. They're difficult to see unless you're up close. Once pollination happens, the actual grapes will form. As they grow and get heavier, the bunch will turn downwards.

Grape buds, not to be confused with grape nuts.

It's time to start another mowing cycle (after I typed that, I started humming "Ride of the Valkyries"). The grass is dry and not growing as quickly as it was a few weeks ago, but it still needs cutting. I think I'll start today with the strip outside the hedge, along the road. Then I'll see how ambitious I am about continuing today or waiting until tomorrow. There's always watering and weeding to do in the vegetable garden.

4 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed for a successful garden this year. Maybe pictures of it soon?
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This photo is so sharp. Glad you get to watch a vineyard every day (we get to see it, too).

    ReplyDelete
  3. bettyann, I've been meaning to take photos in the garden... soon.

    evelyn, it's always changing so it doesn't get boring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How odd. I commented yesterday and it doesn’t appear. It was something about the beauty of the buds and was brilliantly poetic.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!