Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Tomato update

So far (knock on wood), our vegetable garden is out-performing last year's attempt. The tomatoes are healthy looking (no yellow leaves) and are getting taller. We even have tiny tomatoes forming. The zukes are growing and continue to flower, and the pumpkin vines are beginning to wander. While the green beans add leaves and reach upward, the yellow beans are still struggling. Most of the seeds I planted didn't germinate, so I added some more. If there are no more sprouts by the weekend, I'll plant more green beans.

I used to plant upwards of 30 tomato plants each year. Now, I'm down to 10.

Oh! I think we identified the mystery plant. The working theory is that it's an artichoke. As it grows, the newest leaves look more and more like an artichoke plant. I'll keep you posted.

If this year's garden continues at this rate, we should have a decent harvest. And if that happens, I'll be encouraged to add peppers and eggplant to next year's crop. We used to get very good peppers, both the bell and chili/cayenne varieties. For several years we enjoyed eggplant before they wouldn't produce any more. Like I told Ken a few days ago, I think I've become a fertilizer convert. Compost alone isn't enough.

8 comments:

  1. "Compost alone isn't enough." Too right.... we used to use pelletised chicky-poo in the UK, but you can't get that over here and the pelletised guano is too strong to scatter. So we now use pelletized politician speeches [Bull-sh....] and in winter, I rake a bag of fumier into beds I think need it!!
    But homemade compost adds fibre to the soil more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was me... le Pre de la Forge!! Stoopid Splogger!

      Delete
  2. I had an old friend who swore by compost for more than 40 years. He was my first friend with a compost pile in his backyard. But he always used fertilizer, too. And his gardens were glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the long skinny oriental eggplants much much easier to raise Also the newest lot of potting soil which is supposed to contain fertilizer failed to work for me, texture rather like ashes, and finally only one tomato plant managed to survive out of two trays. Your tomato plants look good. Happy gardening Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still remember the smell of chicken poo the year my dad (poultry dealer) spread it on the garden. He only did it one year, there were feathers there for many years;-). He always had a great garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In previous years I think you used spiral metal stakes for the tomatoes. Did they not work out or were they for something else?
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. tim, I'm using pellets for toms and other veg. Certified for "bio" growing.

    mitch, I have a couple of compost piles so I can let each one go for more than a year while I use the other.

    joyce, thanks!

    judy, I hope it stays that way!

    evelyn, wow!

    bettyann, they were for the tomatoes, but when the fruit gets heavy, the plants slide down. Wooden stakes have better "grip."

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!