Wednesday, June 28, 2023

It's always something

A day or so ago, the lawnmower engine began surging, running fast, then slow, then fast, then slow. You get the picture. Then it conked out altogether. So I couldn't continue mowing. I came inside and started poking around on the internet. Turns out, engine surge is a very common problem in small engines, like lawnmowers. The problem is usually a clogged carburetor. The solution is simple: clean the carburetor. I watched a couple of videos on how to do that and I'm not sure I can want to handle it. I already tried a carburetor cleaning additive in the gas tank, but, although it helped a little, it didn't do much. So... This morning I'll take the thing into one of our local garden centers where they do repairs on mowers and other motorized garden tools to ask them the clean the carburetor. I may be without the mower for a week.

Sometimes it feels like I'm constantly running into log jams. Or log piles.

We're also dealing with a few administrative things with the government, namely some new reporting regulations with the tax people. Nothing serious, just paperwork (if you can call working with web sites "paperwork") that needs to be done. And it turns out that a lot of people are having some difficulty; the government delayed the reporting deadline and declared that no penalties will be assessed for late reporting this year. So that's chugging along. I'm also doing actual paperwork in advance of having my tooth fixed, both for the dental office and for my insurance company. Again, nothing serious, just dotting i's and crossing t's.

If it's not one thing, it's another.

5 comments:

  1. I wonder if you shouldn’t have attempted to mow down all those logs. Thankfully, we have a good and cheap accountant here, but I don't think there have been new regs recently. We have an expensive and not great accountant in the States and he can't do anything until our accountant here is finished. I really would like to do that ourselves, but it's confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was younger I had no problem taking a carburettor apart and fixing it. I would not dream of doing that now and wonder how I did it back then.
    Your government administrative issues are not related to Brexit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "There's allus summat" is what we say in Derbyshire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking of you and your tooth the other day, as Betsy just had the oral surgery to remove a tooth and implant bone to start the process, also, for an implant. I hope things are going well with all of that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, I do the US and French taxes for us. Our financial situation is not complex enough to warrant professional help.

    andrew, I never learned how to do that. As for Brexit, it's not directly the reason for the new rules, but they will, I think, impact Brits who own property in France.

    jean, lol!

    judy, we're just getting started. The doctor said I have enough bone to do the extraction and implant at the same time. Then it's a 3 month wait for healing before the top crown can be attached.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!