Monday, June 26, 2023

There be grapes!

It seems like just a week ago I was looking at grape flowers. Now there are grapes on the vines out back. They'll spend the rest of the summer getting bigger and ripening before harvest in the fall. But let's not rush things.

Bunches of grapes soaking up the morning sunlight.

Meanwhile, I keep watering and weeding out in the vegetable garden. It's still too early to know if the chard seeds will germinate. Yesterday I transplanted some basil seedlings into planter boxes for the deck. It's nice to have some basil close to the kitchen in the summer months.

We're in a vigilance area for drought. That means, I believe, that we should be mindful of water use and try to conserve. There are no restrictions as yet where we live. I think that, except for the most severe of cases, we would still be able to water the vegetables if we had restrictions. It's food, after all. Watering the lawn would be prohibited, but I don't water the lawn anyway. Washing cars, filling pools, and things of that nature would not be allowed.

4 comments:

  1. Funny how those new grapes look like tiny plastic beads when they first appear. How do you keep rabbits and other creatures out of your vegetable garden, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same wonder as Kiwi: Are you having any problems with wildlife in your vegetable garden?

    ReplyDelete
  3. kiwi, mitch, we had the yard fenced in soon after moving in. We did it to keep the dog in, but it had the added benefit of keeping most of the critters out. The dog and the cat also helped discourage visitors.

    judy, :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!