Monday, July 10, 2023

Summer salad

Every summer, I like to make a salad that could be likened to tabbouleh, the middle eastern classic. Since we usually have a lot of zucchini in the garden, I use that instead of cucumber. And that's the point; a summer salad like this is a good way to use whatever vegetables you have on hand. This time, in addition to the zucchini, I added tomatoes, sweet corn, artichoke bottoms and hearts, and even a few leftover radishes.

Chopped vegetables, ready for the bulgur and the dressing.

The ingredient not pictured is bulgur, which I cooked, cooled, then mixed in. To dress the salad, I used  oil from a jar of marinated artichoke hearts (sunflower oil, herbs, and spices) and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Olive oil is more traditional, but variety is the spice of life, n'est-ce pas?

The salad keeps well in the fridge and, like many things, is even better after a day or two. I made ours on Saturday and we'll be finishing it up today.

5 comments:

  1. I’m sure it was delicious. This is such a great summer salad.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhh, that looks so fresh and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mitch, it's even pretty when it's all mixed up.

    bettyann, we still have leftovers after two meals.

    judy, it was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific chopping job! Looks and sounds delish with the artichoke dressing! Reminds me to pick up the quinoa salad I love so much at my local Costco. I keep saying I will make it myself, but ...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!