Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Tomatoes

This year's tomato crop looks promising. I planted three varieties. One is cœur de bœuf, a hearty red tomato. Another is ananas, a yellow tomato. The third is another red variety, but I've forgotten what it's called.

These are cœur de bœuf. They resemble bull's hearts, apparently.

I bought the seedlings at a local market. The vendor must have had thirty or more varieties on offer, most of which I had never heard of. The cœur de bœuf and ananas are well-known and familiar to most home gardeners.

This is the red variety whose name I've forgotten. Good thing I'm not a parent.

So now I'm in maintenance mode, keeping the plants watered and pinching suckers. A lot of suckers get ahead of me and I don't have the heart to cut them off once they have blossoms, so a few get to live.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have an excellent crop there. A summer of salads

      Delete
  2. That first tomato is heart shaped indeed. Your crop is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite tomato is the heirloom Marmande. I do miss my daily tomato salad with baguette buttered with Mazières-en-Gâtine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. local alien, I'm looking forward to it.

    travel :)

    evelyn, so far, we're lucky this year!

    judy, and more fun to eat!

    mitch, :)

    chm, I planted marmandes last year, but we had a bad garden year so we didn't get many.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!