Thursday, July 20, 2023

The first tomatoes

While I've been harvesting zucchini for a few weeks now, these are the first tomatoes to ripen. There are many more on the vine, so I'm hopeful for a good harvest. I have ten plants, three varieties. It won't be like past years when I had upwards of thirty tomato plants. I was making sauce for the freezer like crazy. This is less crazy.

Three cœur de bœuf and one round "I forgot what it's called" tomatoes.

I water the vegetables every day. There hasn't been a significant rain in a while. It hasn't been very hot, either; a few days of heat here and there are all we've had. The mornings are downright chilly. It feels more like September than July. On the upside, I've noticed many people mention that their gardens are doing well this year. I think the wet and warm spring we had (no April freeze) helped a lot.

6 comments:

  1. As pretty as a bowl of rubies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep watering. I bet you'll get some hot weather soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're able to enjoy your garden this year. We just keep having one daily record-breaking heat after another. And we're not even the hottest spot around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smart of you to reduce your tomato supply! We aren't getting any younger... Rubies are a good comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  5. travel, :)

    judy, you can say that again!

    anon, summer ain't over yet!

    mitch, it's a good thing you've got air con.

    mary, that many tomato plants was a real chore, but the tomatoes were good.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!