Friday, July 19, 2019

Wild chicory

I remember these common summer flowers as "cornflowers" when I was younger. Here in France they're known as chicorée sauvage (wild chicory). They bloom from mid-summer to early fall. Around us, they grow in the margins around vineyard parcels and in fields that have been left fallow.

Beautiful blue chicory flowers make their annual appearance in the vineyard and on the blog.

Wild chicory, along with wild carrot (Queen Anne's Lace), are the typical wildflowers we see at the peak of summer. I wonder if they're a little advanced this year because of the heat.

5 comments:

  1. I guess I mentioned it before that in the desert of Southern California wild chicory flowers are white. I had never seen a blue one there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful shade of blue. We used to have lots of this wildflower in our area. They have almost disappeared. And they don't seem to last at all in a vase. But your photograph is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photo. I knew those as wild chicory, in New England. But I remember them as late summer, early September flowers. Times are changin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. chm, for a couple of years, there was one white chicory out at the end of the vineyard road. I haven't seen it for a while now.

    mitch, thank you!

    thickethouse, I wonder why?

    emm, I suppose they are. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!