Thursday, December 14, 2023

He's loaded lots of toys and goodies on his sleigh

Back in the early 1970s, my step-mom was into crafts and made a number of tree ornaments, including this wreath. I have a small number of her ornaments, as I'm sure my other siblings do. One of them (an ornament, not a sibling), a snowflake made from rolled strips of paper, has since disintegrated. I think the glue that held it all together got too old. It was my favorite, and I still have pieces of it, but it can no longer hang on the tree.

Crafty. I can see it's beginning to fray around the edges.

It looks like the wreath might have been made from a doily (or something like that). If I remember, she gave these ornaments to me in the years after I left home so I'd have something to hang on my little Charlie Brown-style Christmas trees. It blows my mind that they are about fifty years old. Yikes!

7 comments:

  1. Very sweet. I love that you keep the pieces of the one that has disintegrated too. I have a couple of sentimental fragile ornaments that are like that. At least we get to see them in the box every year, even if they aren't hardy enough to hang. I also have one ornament that is ancient, but always makes me smile, because it is a Santa head made out of a wine bottle cork with a piece of cotton for his beard. I made it when I was four years old under instruction from Miss Diane (was that her name?) on Romper Room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’ve taken good care of your special ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your step mom loved you all! That fabric is a piece of trim called eyelet, sort of a cotton lace. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty ornament.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have loved to have met your step-mother. She probably would be pleased that you have cherished her crafty ornaments! I have never seen eyelet like that! So delicate! I would use a product available in the U.S., called Fray-Check to contain that 'fraying' - although to me it looks like loose threads. Any liquid glue would do the trick. Just a dab will do ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try one small dab on the back and let it dry, to be sure it dries invisibly before you use it on the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walt, I was looking for picture frames in Intermarché for a card that Pauline was sent.... and spotted some double-glass picture mounts... about 10cm square.... they came with two sheets of glass, a roll of Passepartout tape and a loop of wire to mount in the border as you tape it up... if you put the wire loop in the corner, it would hang nicely in the tree.
    The frames are meant for pressed flowers I think!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!