Monday, December 04, 2023

Val-deree, val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

Last Sunday, our town held one of the several randonnées pédestres (nature hikes or walks) that they hold each year. A route is planned and marked and the walkers (who sign up in advance) follow the route over the course of a Sunday morning. Many of the annual walks follow routes through the vineyards and forests around us. I caught this glimpse of participants on a route that took them through our neighborhood and out into the vineyards beyond.

Randonneurs heading out toward the "volcanos" in the vineyard behind our house on a frosty Sunday morning.

I took Tasha for her walk on this particular morning and had forgotten about the hike. For a brief time we were among the early walkers, but we soon scooted over onto a path by the woods to avoid the larger groups. Tasha gets very excited when other people (and dogs) are out on "her" route. When we got home, she stood guard at the deck window, barking at each group of randonneurs as they passed the house.

6 comments:

  1. Ah, 'Der frohliche Wanderer'! Memories! The song was highly popular in my VERY early years. I hadn't realised until now that it had actually got to number TWO in our 1954 charts when I'd have been just 5 - and stayed in the charts for six whole months (our 'pop' charts only started in '52). The song, performed by the Oberkirchen children's choir, who I visualised as singing while hiking about in shorts - or, later, Lederhosen - hardly appropriate for present weather. It was a constant request on our radio progs - but that would have been well before your time, I'm sure - but obviously you DO recall it. As I say, sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picturing Tasha and her commentary at the window makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, interesting that I am signed in here to be able to comment from my iPad, but not on Ken’s blog.I have to figure this out.
    Tasha, Tasha… stand guard! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that hiking song- haven't heard it in a long time though. Glad Tasha kept your house barked up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I had a sheltie, she would also so the things you mentioned that Tasha did when you were on your walk. I think Shelties are like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tasha knows her territory, and woe be the errant traveler who crosses onto her path..

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!