Thursday, December 28, 2023

The ghost of Christmas past

This photo is dated March 1969, but I'm not sure that's when it was taken. I don't ever remember our family's Christmas tree still being up in March. It may have been taken in December, but not developed until March. I see that there are no presents, wrapped or unwrapped, to be seen. Still, I can't rule out that the tree was actually still up in March. Lordy Moses.

The tree was obviously too tall for the room and had to be lopped off.

And, yes, that's me making my entrance down the staircase, ready, it seems, to head outdoors in the chill of an upstate New York winter.

6 comments:

  1. Greetings from Tinsel Town. I love old snapshots like these (and I love that woodwork).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect that's when the film was developed. My family often sees photos with dates we know can't be accurate, because our father, who was the family photographer, only had vacation in a very specific time of the summer as he was in the military.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those winters must have been so cold! Love your tree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tinsel!
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, look at that nice Craftsman style staircase newel :) What street was this on, in Albany, Walt? I mean, a gazillion houses of this era had Craftsmen woodwork, but... there are quite a few Sears houses in the Albany area (probably less than 2% of the housing stock, but, still, more than in some areas).
    I second CK's comment about the date of the photo... that film could sit in a camera for a while, before being brought in for developing! So different, now.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, my family was big on tinsel, for sure. I've come to the conclusion that it's just too messy.

    ck, you're probably right. Film would often stay in the camera for months before all the shots got taken.

    evelyn, that's for sure!

    bettyann, one thing about tinsel: it's hard to get off the tree after the holidays. :)

    judy, the house was, or is (it's still there), in a suburb called Delmar and the street is Delaware Avenue.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!