Sunday, April 05, 2020

Cherry blossoms

The cherry tree in our back yard is blooming now. The cherries it produces are not particularly good. They're small, don't have much flesh on them, and they're very tart. I don't know why anyone would have planted that tree. Certainly not for the cherries. But it makes nice flowers in the spring.

Cherry blossoms.

As planned, I went across the river to pick up our drive order at Intermarché on Saturday morning. The trip over was a little eerie. No cars. None at the intersection at the bridge, none on the bridge itself, none in the traffic circle on the other side. It felt like I was alone in a ghost town, or in one of those post-apocalyptic cities of the "future."

However, the parking lot at Intermarché had a good number of cars parked out front and shoppers (some with masks) were going in and out of the store. There was no line to get in. I pulled around back to the drive pickup and a young woman came out to greet me. She found my order quickly and rolled it out so I could verify the contents and load it into the car. She said everything was in stock, they didn't need to make any substitutions. C'est rare, she said (That's unusual).

It was all over quickly and I was back on the empty road home. I didn't see any gendarmes checking IDs or attestations. I think the whole trip took less than fifteen minutes.

I checked out the web site for a nearby winery co-op that we like. They have a special deal for this period of confinement: they'll deliver a wine order of 36 bottles or more, free of charge, right to your home. They accept payment by check only (no problem) and you can place your order on line. I'm going to try it out next week.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful cherry blossoms. Yes, the streets are very eerie. Glad your shopping experience was good. A friend of mine in Oregon waited for an hour and a half for her pick-up. Nothing about the experience was pleasant. Thanks for continuing to share the beauty around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. on a normal saturday night, cars and trucks would be running both ways on out street. last night, hardly any traffic. and no airplane noise overhead as the planes make their way toward PHL. it's creepy.

    my spouse went to the local grocer yesterday; got everything but TP, as that aisle is still bare.

    the state stores (for hard alcohol) are closed here (stupid virus), but one can buy beer and wine at the grocer. and you can order wine from a PA winery and have it shipped to your house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to pick up groceries but wine is delivered. Sounds like a good arrangement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Important things can be delivered! Makes sense to me! The fruit trees are all in bloom around here, too! Lovely.
    My shopping trip yesterday was uneventful. I could not find 1 bottle available (large, bulk size) for liquid hand soap. The disappointing part of the trip was how few other people were wearing masks. I would say less than 5% (and that is conservatively). My shopping was for two weeks but when I got home the problem was finding space to put it all away. The bulk foods are no longer dispensable in the large plastic containers so I previously could buy the amount I needed. The clerks have now bags of the items (some items had disappeared) in 1,2,& 3 pound quantities. I still have some steel-cut oats to last another 2 weeks, maybe. Otherwise my only choice is a 14.25 pound bag which I might have to resort to when I run out of my stash. Have you guys got masks? I made one out of a bandanna and 2 large rubber bands yesterday (instructions on the internet). It worked fine, but today I am sewing masks. Stay safe!


    ReplyDelete
  5. All the same do you use the cherries?

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, that's awful (waiting 1.5 hours for a pickup)! I have no complaints about our experiences so far.

    anne marie, there are no jet contrails in the sky above us. Normally, it's crisscrossed with them. I remember the last time that happened: it was when that Icelandic volcano shut air traffic down across Europe.

    judy, yes!

    bettyann, you can get groceries delivered, too, but I think there's a fee for that. And getting out to go pick them up is the only way we can experience the "outside world."

    mary, I suppose it's better to have too much than not enough!

    michael, nope. Tried once, but it was just not worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!