Tuesday, April 07, 2020

Spring sunrise

At sunrise this past cloudless Sunday morning, the first golden rays came horizontally from the eastern horizon, illuminating some of the woods around us as if from below. It's not often that I see this kind of light, given weather, timing, and other factors. But Sunday was one of those rare days. I had the telephoto lens on the camera.

Sunlit acacia tree trunks, 140mm, f/8.0, 1/1000s. The grey tree on the right is a walnut.

The rain system moved in pretty much on schedule yesterday. I decided that I wanted to cut the grass in the west and north 40s before it rained, so I was out there 08h30 with the mower. Some sections of the lawn were very high and thick, others not so much. I raised the mower blade to its highest setting. It took me a little less than 90 minutes to finish. It looks good; I always like that point in the spring when it looks like we've got control of the yard again. But I know it's temporary. That grass will grow again quickly, and I'll probably be out there mowing again by this weekend.

6 comments:

  1. It was a wonderful light, and similarly, here too; my husband was photographing a brightly lit ancient cobbled floor & stairs in one of the old farm buildings. There are several very ancient Acacia trees (200yrs+) up the farm drive, knarled old trunks in front of ancient stone walls. Not a common sight in England these days. ANd, we are, thank goodness, at last caught up with drilling corn after all the early flooding this year.
    Not left the farm for three weeks, not a hardship though. A good larder and freezer sees to that,& tomatoes & salads etc., sown in the house on Feb 11th nearly ready to go into the greenhouse. Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful light. So glad the weather cooperated briefly so you could get out and mow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Walt, and thanks -as always- for such beautiful pictures! Greetz from Perth, Jan (& Dean).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful light! It makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pats, you're way ahead of me!

    mitch, me too. And it looks like the weekend will be nice so I'll be able to cut it all over again!

    jan, back atcha!

    judy, until the tractors show up. LOL!

    thickethouse, :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!