Thursday, April 30, 2020

Seedlings

It's time to thin out the tomato seedlings. They're growing and crowding each other. I planted many more seeds than the usual three in each little pot because I wanted to be sure some of them sprouted. I'm using seeds that are a couple to several years old. Well, most of them came up. The yellow tomatoes didn't germinate at all, and I only got four or five of the cœur de bœuf tomatoes to sprout. No matter. There are plenty of others.

Some of this year's tomato seedlings, along with zucchini and pumpkins.

I plan to put at least three of each variety in the ground. I'll plant more of some, like the romas, so there will be lots of sauce tomatoes. I'm actually trying to plant fewer tomatoes than in previous years. I have two pumpkin varieties that I want to put in this year, and they need a lot of room to roam. The zucchinis are non-running types, so they won't take up too much space.

Climbing yellow flat beans against the trellis.

Oh! And the yellow flat beans are doing well out in the garden. No climbing peas or other bean sprouts to report; I guess those seeds were too old. I did see a few snow pea sprouts yesterday, so I'm hopeful. They're a semi-dwarf variety so they won't climb much.

4 comments:

  1. So much excitement in the greenhouse and garden. I wish we could visit the garden center. We had planned to start a hibiscus collection again. Will have to make do with pruning what we've got. Not as exciting, but still satisfying. One of the yuccas is craggy and overgrown... again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned the other day that my favorite nursery was open. I had assumed it was closed. I bought and planted three Fiesta Hibiscus that have beautiful burnt red/orange/yellow flowers.

      Delete
  2. You are such a skilled gardener. I really enjoy watching your garden grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hooooooo, it's time for garden photos!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!